This Is Why You Should Throw Away Your Keurig!
Sorry instant coffee lovers, but here’s why you should throw out your Keurig:
It May Contain Mold And Bacteria
If you’ve ever tried to clean out and dry your Keurig, you may have run into a common problem. You can’t empty the water from the inside. According to Keurig.com, “Once your Keurig home brewer has been primed, you cannot empty the water from the inside. The internal tank of the brewer cannot be drained.”
Because the tank cannot be drained, it’s possible that bacteria and mold are living and growing inside the hidden water tank. After all, it’s nice and dark and warm – exactly the environment that mold and bacteria thrive in.
If you were about to make the argument that your water kills the bacteria when it gets hot, not so fast. Unfortunately, the water isn’t getting hot enough for that. In order to kill the bacteria, it would have to reach boiling temperature and stay there for at least one minute. If you have a newer version of the coffee machine that allows you to detach, empty and clean the water tank, you’re much safer from this problem.
Plastic K Cups Contain Harmful Chemicals
The good news is, K Cups are a composite plastic, which makes them BPA-free. The bad news is, the chemicals from the composite plastic are far from safe. They can mimic estrogen in the body and create hormone problems, similar to the effects of soy. K Cups pose another health concern thanks to their aluminum foil lids.
Another tragic fact is that K Cups are non-recyclable. It’s estimated that over 8.3 billion K Cups are being discarded every year. That’s enough to circle the earth 10.5 times!
If you can’t part with your coffee, don’t worry, you don’t have to! There are other ways to get your morning cup of Joe without the health risks. You can even use some of these simple hacks to make your coffee healthier!