5 Best Uses of Coconut Oil for Your Hair
Coconut oil is filled with fatty acids that helps moisturize and nourish your scalp and hair. A study which was published in the “Journal of Cosmetic Science” in 1999, reported that coconut oil applied to the hair reduced hair breakage. Another study in 2005 by the Journal of Cosmetic Science reported that coconut oil penetrated the hair follicle much better as compared to the most common ingredient in hair conditioners, mineral oil.
Below are 5 reasons to start putting coconut oil in your hair:
Benefits of Coconut Oil on Hair:
1. Dandruff Prevention
Coconut oil contains various fatty acids and serve as good anti-dandruff agents, and are much better than any anti-dandruff shampoo. Regular application of coconut oil can help to get rid of dandruff.
How to Use:
- When combined with warm water and castor oil it can also be effective in treating dandruff. You can massage your scalp and hair using this mixture.
- Another dandruff remedy can be prepared by combining sesame oil and coconut oil. Apply the mixture for 30 minutes and then shampoo your hair.
2. Hair Growth
Coconut oil is an effective, and reasonably priced solution for thinning hair. It can help grow the hair, thicker and longer. The essential nutrients including the lauric acid, penetrates the hair shaft, thus improving the overall health of the hair.
The health of the hair is often a result of internal issues, and using natural hair loss remedies will help. Also, foods that are high in pumpkin, Omega-3 fats, flax seeds, chia seeds and green tea, all help support healthy hair growth.
How to Use:
- Massage the coconut oil into your scalp using gentle pressure for 10 minutes.
- Do this 3-4 times per week.
If you want to focus on hair growth, you will only need 1 teaspoon.
3. Lice Protection
Lice are a very common pest that are found in the hair. These lice also have a tendency to come back again.
There are many chemical products that are available for the treatment of lice, but unfortunately, some can also cause damage on your scalp and hair due to their strong chemical components.
Hot to Use:
- You can coat your comb with coconut oil for an effective remedy to remove lice. It becomes much easier to comb and remove the lice, using this remedy.
4. Styling Hair
Coconut oil is a great styling agent, and most importantly it is free from the dangerous chemicals in conventional hair care products. This is one of the most overlooked uses of coconut oil for hair.
Flat iron, hair dryers, curling irons and hot rollers, removed the moisture out of your hair shaft, causing it to be brittle and prone to tangling. Coconut oil helps in preventing this type of thermal damage.
People who have thick curly hair often fight frizz in humid climates. Coconut oil can help in taming your frizz, by penetrating into the curls. It can be applied through the day for touch-ups, but just make sure to use it sparingly.
How to Use:
- Apply coconut oil,, using 1/4 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon, depending on your hair.
- Smooth from root to tips.
- Blow dry.
- Style as desired.
5. Sun Damage Protection
Coconut oil can be an excellent all natural sunscreen. In the morning, apply coconut oil to help protect your hair by following these simple steps:
How to Use:
- Add a small amount of coconut oil into the smaller of bowl. Set the smaller bowl in the bottom of the larger one.
- Fill the larger bowl with hot water, so the smaller bowl is partially submerged.
- Let the coconut oil come to temperature, so it is completely melted.
- Gently massage the oil into your hair, using your fingers.
- Brush and style as usual.